LAKE BLANCHE

NOVEMBER 2008

FLORENCE LAKE

LILLIAN LAKE

LAKE BLANCHE AND SUNDIAL PEAK

Lake Blanche is a very popular hike located just a few miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Due to its proximity to Salt Lake, this trail can get extremely congested during weekends in the summer. In order to beat the crowds the last time I visited, I went in November. The trail to Lake Blanche is about three miles and steadily climbs uphill the entire way. It is a scenic trail that will take you through some aspen groves and provide great view of the mountain peaks at the top of the basin.

The trail will be at its steepest just before you arrive at Lake Blanche. I've been up here several times, but I had forgotten how beautiful the view was at the entrance to the lake. Sundial Peak is located right behind Lake Blanche and it would be worth a three-mile hike just for the view you get of it at the top of the basin. This peak is well-named and while I was there it had a large waterfall cascading off the side of it. Keep following the trail around Lake Blanche and after you pass the old dam, it will take you down to Lake Florence. This is a pretty lake with a waterfall feeding into it. From Florence it is just a short walk over to Lake Lillian. This is another beautiful lake. Keep your eyes peeled for mountain goats at Lake Lillian. I have seen them on the mountain sides above the lake before. 

On my way back down from Lake Blanche storm clouds began to race up the canyon. I was soon walking inside a cloud which began to hail on me. Luckily I had my poncho. It hailed for about two miles, leaving the ground white, before it eventually turned to rain and mud as I dropped in elevation. Hail and mud are a small price to pay to have the basin almost entirely to yourself for a day.